Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Critique: Smoking Cover


Most of my design time has been spent on designing a cover for the social smoking story. Last week, my baby design was chosen, but they wanted a photo from the shoot. I basically rebuilt the entire cover, and I like the new one better.

I will say that the blue is much brighter here than it is in InDesign. One of the things I was having lots of problems with was finding a color for the title and dek to be legible across the entire page. Whatever I tried always seemed to get lost somewhere on the page. So, I gave it a tiny drop-shadow to help with legibility. I think it also adds some drama.

I chose the blue and green because I think of them as colors associated with younger people, who are the ones participating in this trend. I like the photo because it shows how social smoking works. It's people lighting up after a beer. They don't buy the cigarettes themselves; they bum them off other people.

1 comment:

  1. I know this cover was from last week, but I thought I would still comment on it. I think the blue is bright, but as you said it was different on your screen. I like the connection with the blue and facebook, only the most popular social networking site. I would suggest separating your head and dek by using a different color or making the dek smaller.

    ReplyDelete