Friday, September 9, 2011

Critique: Tigers and Cupcakes

In this week's Tiger Kick-off, we're running a story about how MU football coach likes to play teams that are considered pretty easy to beat, aka cupcake teams. The original idea for lead art was a lot of stats over a cupcake (the reporter came up with this idea). What this morphed into was the idea of illustrating a Tiger eating a cupcake. That's where I came in.

Here's the second version of what I came up with:

The manager of Tiger Kick-off and I had some concerns about the illustration being too adorable for what we were going for. As a result, I replaced the cupcake with stock art of a real cupcake, and stacked the cupcakes behind the tiger.
Personally, I'm in love with it. But I adore cupcakes and got to play with a stuffed tiger hand puppet that roared for a day, so I'm kind of biased.


2 comments:

  1. The drawing is great. I'm wondering if the art might have been more effective if you had used a real tiger (which looks vicious) surrounded by cupcakes (which look delicious). That might cut down on the cute-factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, really impressive! I love illustration, but it always takes me forever, so I didn't do it nearly as often as I wanted to when I was a graphic designer.

    ReplyDelete