Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Critique: Baby Beauty Pagent

I worked on the Baby Beauty Pageant competition this week.

Based on the tone of the photos and the text, I didn't want to try anything crazy or that could seem as if it were making fun of the sources. The story was respectful of the people involved and didn't have any of the poking fun aspect that's part of Toddler's and Tiaras.

I've also been working as a designer for Global Journalist, which has a more conservative design style than Vox, and I think I had a hard time adjusting to that.




As I was designing, I felt a little as if were still designing for Global Journalist. I tried to be a little more risky, but I'm not sure I succeeded.

I also wanted to play up the father because he's such a huge part of the story.



















Another struggle was the cover. It's been quite some time since I designed one and I was running out of creativity for a cover. I like the idea of this cover, but I would have preferred something a little more focused on the Dad and child.








I'll be focusing on the spring preview for the next couple of days. I'm also hoping to do a couple of fun posters, but we'll see about how much time I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment